RES University

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Creature Roleplays > The Land of The Masked 2, The Second Wave: A Fantasy Roleplay

Alex

Four years after the incident of the walled city, all appears peaceful. While the apocalypse rages on above, people have found new life in the underground sanctuary below. The city is lively, there's always enough food to go around, and the Masked are far above, oblivious to the world beneath.

At least, that was what everyone thought.

The Masked had been replicated outside of the city thanks to a traitor A strange man, only known as Clovis. One day, he simply left, a strange little girl in tow. Less than a week afterwards, the Masked took the rest of the land. Barely contained in the remnants of North America, no one's sure quite what Clovis did, or how he did it, but with him vanished all information about the in-progress cure to the infection.

Back at the drawing board, the scientists working on the cure have no idea why Clovis essentially started a new apocalypse. The years went by, and the dread of his return only grew. Masked became common again, and leaving the tunnels became rare. Clovis was bound to come back and finish them off, wasn't he?

The general population of the sanctuary doesn't know where the new wave came from, or how close they were to a cure and immunity. Higher-ups have agreed it's safer that way, considering how dangerous a paranoid mind is. But how long until the sanctuary is broken into? What if they can't fend off Clovis's attack? What then?

An answer appeared sooner than anyone could have ever predicted.

With the tunnel destroyed and hundreds dead, the survivors are forced aboveground once again. For some, it's not the first time. For others, it could be their last.

Either way, who will survive when they're forced aboveground again, facing the second wave?

--

September 1, 2015 at 10:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

Okay, 2 days before the initial release, the thing is here. Rejoice, friends. 

Considering there's like 3 of us I doubt there'll be any need for like forms and stuff ahah 

Thanks Mei for the title idea B)

Anyways without further ado I declare this roleplay... a thing

--

September 1, 2015 at 10:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

It was an ordinary morning in the tunnels. The dull, flourescent lights were a poor substitute for natural sunshine, but few seemed to mind as they bustled about, ready for another day of denying the apocalypse above their heads. 

Some coped better than others. 

Leona was among the more paranoid bunch more often than not. As she wandered, she couldn't help but glance up at the tunnel ceilings. How many Masked were lurking above, right this second?

"Leona, g'mornin, how is everything?" 

Limit appeared, seemingly out of nowhere. Following, as usual, was Vessel. The two were practically never apart, it seemed. 

"Nothing's out of the ordinary." Leona replied, shrugging. At this point, her "ordinary" seemed ridiculous. 

Vessel nodded thoughtfully to herself. "Not yet, at least. Something's off about today." She muttered. 

--

September 1, 2015 at 10:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jade

At the mouth of one of the exit tunnels stood (among a plethora of others) an interesting duo, both of whom were armed to the teeth with miscellaneous supplies, exuding an aura of confidence. They were two sides of the same coin, fraternal twins, with matching grins and enormous, flame-tipped wings. 

The girl adjusted her ponytail, realigning her bandana to shield the lower half of her face. "Ready to go?"

The boy nodded as he rolled up the sleeves of his dark brown bomber jacket. "Ready when you are."

And so they went, out into no man's land with gleaming eyes and a wild determination, flanked by a group of strangely dressed others.

"Looks like some of the Scouters are going out today," Gregory remarked as he watched them exit the sanctuary. 

"Again? That's the third time this week," Legion replied. "They never leave this frequently."

"Things are changing, Legion. We're not as safe as we think."

--

°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰;)◜✧˖°

September 1, 2015 at 11:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

"C'mon, Vessel, the morning's just begun. The Scouters haven't even left yet. You can't go through the day just dreading stuff." Limit said, concerned. He nudged at his companion, only to flinch at how icy-cold her skin was. 

"They just did." Vessel replied. "I believe what I wish. Something. Is. Wrong." 

As with every other day, people were getting to work. Among them was King, probably a bit more sleep-deprived than what was considered healthy. 

Supposedly, they were close to a solution. A way to get rid of the Masked once and for all. But at the same time, there was something wrong. Masked had gained the tendency to pile up right around the tunnel's entrances. That was't normal behaviour. The Masked hadn't done anything out of the ordinary since back in the quarantined city, when they were under direct command. There were only so many implications that such a thing could lead to, one of them being-

"King, are you alright?" 

The scientist jumped. startled. Altair was there, looking mildly concerned."Altair, when'd you g-get here? Nevermind, I have to get to the lab-" 

"I was just here to tell you, something happened to the machines, none of them are working." He said. "No one knows exactly what, but a good portion of the tunnels don't have power."

"How bizarre." What could've done that? First, the abnormal behaviour, and now this? The tunnels suddenly seemed far less safe. 

--

September 1, 2015 at 11:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jade

Back at the lab, a mild form of chaos had erupted. Scientists quickly fell to frustration as they struggled to solve the mystery of the machines. 

"Ah, what happened?!" exclaimed a raven-haired girl, her indigo eyes wide in disbelief. "They were working fine just a few minutes ago!" 

"I'm sure it's nothing major," reasoned another one, a male scientist with a scar on his lower jawline. "It's probably just a small glitch, they'll fix it eventually."

"It-It's a sign! What if it's the Masked?" squeaked a petite blonde as she rushed to the nearest machine, repetitively jabbing at its power button.

"Calm down everyone, things will only be worse if you panic," came the voice from the back of the room. It belonged to a man, older than the majority of the others. He leaned back in his swivel chair and nonchalantly turned to face the group. "Shhhhhh. Good. Now let's wait for Altair to get back with his status report so we know just what we're dealing with here."

The tension in the room seemed to simmer, but only slightly. With pursed lips and nervous expressions, those of whom were in the room resumed their duties. At least, the tasks that could be fulfiled without technology.

--

°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰;)◜✧˖°

September 2, 2015 at 9:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

"I have to at least see what's going on." King insisted, briskly heading in the direction of the lab. "Even if we can't get the machines working..." 

"It's only going to get worse." Altair said quietly, struggling to keep up. People could probably tell something was wrong. In the tunnels, it only took the slightest bit of unease to set off panic. 

King shrugged, trying not to show any stress. "Whatever is happening, as long as I can see the notes I'm writing, I can still do my job." 

Altair didn't reply to that. 

Finally reaching the lab, King opened the door. "Alright, what's going on in-"

Before he could even finish his sentence, the lights went out, plunging the room into darkness.

The rest of the tunnels suffered the same fate. 

"I knew it." Vessel murmured, staring at the burned-out flourescent lights. People had already begun chattering nervously to one another...

"The generators should kick in soon." Leona said, trying to assure herself more than anyone. 

--

September 2, 2015 at 9:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jade

"Great, a blackout," Legion scowled, immediatly tense. She had harbored the feeling that things were going to go wrong, and she was right. Her hands lit up with a flourescent azure light, illuminating a wide radius around her.

~

A sudden shriek pierced the momentary silence of the lab, followed by an assortment of miscellaneous reactions. People were frantic now, tripping over tables and bumping into chairs. There was noise, so much noise flooding the room, each individual voice adding on to the cacophonic chaos that was quick to ensue.  

"Altair!" the man on the swivel-chair cried out, his voice booming over the others. "Status report?"

--

°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰;)◜✧˖°

September 2, 2015 at 9:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

"E-Everything's off." Altair said quickly. He was regretting not finding a flashlight or something before the lights went out... "The tunnels, all of them, are probably experiencing a complete and utter blackout. Nothing's working..." 

"Nothing?" King echoed. "What could possibly be the cause of this?" His mind had already gone to a single, resounding conclusion: The Masked. It had to be. 

No matter how long they waited, the backup lights didn't activate. 

Vessel sighed, frustrated. "No one listens when I speak. Things are bad. People... I can tell, people want to evacuate. They want to go above." 

"What would that fix?" Leona muttered, trying to shrug off the nervousness. "All that's outside are Masked... we can't go out there." She couldn't go out there, not again. Those dark times years ago had been more than enough for her. 

--

September 2, 2015 at 9:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jade

"Wait, do you think... Do you think we might have been sabotaged?" the indigo-eyed girl piped up suddenly as she began to eliminate other possibilities. It couldn't be the generator; the backups would've kicked in by now. And it couldn't be just another technical malfunction; it wouldn't have wiped out the entire power supply. But if it wasn't that... what else could it be?

-

"Legion, we have to do something," Gregory said, a hint of urgency to his voice. "I don't think it's safe here anymore. Come with me, I'm going back to the lab. I need to find my dad."

Without a moment's hesitation, Legion immediately turned to follow, shielding them both in a barrier of light.

--

°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰;)◜✧˖°

September 2, 2015 at 10:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

"It's the only conclusion that'd make sense." King agreed, nodding. Sabotaged, by the Masked. It was a ridiculous thing to assume, but what else did they have? "But if we've been sabotaged, what can we do?" 

From somewhere above, a crash was heard. 

"That doesn't sound like a Masked." Altair said quietly. 

"Okay, let's just get out of here." Limit said, laughing nervously. "I'm sure that this'll all be fine."

"You heard that. It's not fine." Vessel muttered. 

Leona just listened, unsure what to do, where to go. What was even happening? 

The first scream echoed through the tunnels, momentarily stunning everyone into silence. 

"The tunnels have been broken into." Vessel murmured. 

--

September 2, 2015 at 10:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cam6780

Skarner's eyes glowed in the dark. He rarely came in, due to his size - he scraped the walls whenever he did. He'd come in to converse with those inside, as they never ventured outdoors. Scouters usually ignored him, too. He sighed. At least he could see. Slightly.

Dave and Craixen(Crangle) were in a corner of a room, with neatly piled metal scraps nearby. Dave's red eyes glowed in the darkness, offering a tiny bit of light. Craixen sat down. "Peculiar.." She murmured.

"Yes. This is a first." Dave spoke.

The familiar crackling noise of Rek'Sai echoed through the tunnels, alerting everyone she was closeby, as she always did when returning from hunting. For herself, of course. Nobody else ate Masked, anyway. She didn't enter the tunnels, for the same reason as Skarner, and the fact most were unsettled by her appearance more than his.

--

September 3, 2015 at 3:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

"Well, fine, if we're gonna be negative, this is terrible." Limit muttered. "First the lights go out, now something's... in the tunnels?" 

Of course, you could only jump to one conclusion there. 

"Do you think Masked got in?" Leona asked, even though she knew the answer was obvious. They were trapped, every last one of them, nowhere to run... and the Masked were flooding in. 

From the tunnels above the laboratory, screams could be heard, and the far too familiar sound of those slow, synchronized footsteps... 

"And that sounds like Masked." King said quietly. They'd broken in. How much ground had they covered already? Could that section be evacuated and boarded off? There'd been steel doors installed in case of this exact situation... "The doors are electric, aren't they?" 

"They wouldn't work without power." Altair replied quickly, realizing what King was thinking. "The Masked have access to the entire underground city, and we can't do anything about it." 

"Except, of course, we can evacuate."

--

September 3, 2015 at 4:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

Mei's post

As the rhythmic droning of Masked footsteps breached a crescendo, chaos ran rampant throughout the sanctuary.

“Evacuation is definitely our best option here,” Percy concluded, masking his fear with cold calculation. He spoke in a no-nonsense tone and didn’t wait for any signs of protest.

“The Masked? In here?” Lilly squeaked as she followed him towards the nearest exit. There was a moment of hesitation, but it immediately dissipated once the others surged closer to the door, pushing her closer to Percy. Luckily, Lilly had already grabbed her personal belongings from the lab.

-

“Wait, where are Leona and Dave? We have to find them, we have to find everyone!” Legion cried out suddenly as she and Gregory neared the research facility. There was not a single familiar face in sight.

“We’ll get to them later,” Gregory replied hastily. “Right now we need to at least know what’s going on.”

He wasn’t nearly as calm as he lead her to believe, however. A surge of panic rushed through him as the ground beneath his feet began to crack and splinter. An old memory of a particular incident began to resurface…

No, that couldn’t happen again, he wouldn’t allow it. Especially with their current circumstance.

“We’re almost there,” he said in a reassuring voice, though he knew these words were spoken for his own personal comfort.

-

“Mister Skarner, what’s happening?” the tiny voice of Helix piped up. The screaming was getting louder, and she could recognize those ominous footsteps from a mile away. But still, she felt it necessary to confirm her suspicions.

--

September 5, 2015 at 1:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cam6780

"Nothing good. I am unsure where the exit is. Can barely see despite my eyes glowing slightly." Skarner replied. He looked around the large room, spotting the lights coming from Dave. "Dave is over there."

"I suppose we will need to fight soon." Dave spoke to Craixen.

"Yeah. Uh..." Craixen murmured. She wasn't that crazy thing she used to be anymore..

"I could easily distract the creatures while everyone makes an escape. I am still disposable." Dave spoke. He spotted Skarner, and rolled over to him and Helix, while Craixen followed him.

"Hello there." Skarner nodded.

--

September 5, 2015 at 10:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

"How are we going to tell everyone else?" Altair asked. "Are we just going to run off and hope they realize the tunnels are broken into?" 

"We don't have much choice." King pointed out, grabbing what notes he could. No point in letting all their studies go to waste... "With the power out, we can't make announcements or get their attention. They'll probably hear the Masked and panic. Hopefully, that'll get them out..." 

People had begun running, in various directions. Some were going to the rooming sectors, perhaps to lock themselves in. Others had begun heading towards the exit, as if the outside could be much better. 

"Well, we can't just stand here." Limit muttered, not a fan of the surging crowd. "I feel like I'm suffocating. We need to get out of this mess." 

"Where are we supposed to go?" Leona asked shakily. "I mean, t-the rest of the tunnels will be like this, and..."

"Outside." Vessel interrupted. "That may be our only chance." 

--

September 5, 2015 at 10:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jade

"Do we really have to fight again?" Sparky frowned, looking up at the crystal scorpion with sad eyes. 

-

"We don't have time for that," Percy yelled over the roar of the crowd before quickly vanishing into the mass of people.

--

°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰;)◜✧˖°

September 5, 2015 at 10:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cam6780

"We may. Unless we can find a way out that doesn't involve violence. But I have no idea where the others are in this shelter." Skarner replied. 

"Chances of fighting are higher than 50%." Dave spoke.

"Brilliant." Craixen sighed.

--

September 5, 2015 at 10:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

"Let's just... get out of here while we can." King agreed. With the few notebooks he could carry without being slowed down, he headed out into the tunnels. 

Altair followed still concerned for the rest of the city. People wouldn't want to go back outside. They'd insist on hiding, and then the Masked would... no, that probably wasn't something worth thinking about.

Vessel began floating towards the nearest exit before her friends could object. 

"It really isn't much better out there." Limit said quietly. "I mean, Leona's seen it. It's bad." 

Leona just nodded, barely listening. They were going back outside? Back to that living hell?

--

September 5, 2015 at 10:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jade

Helix's delicate features contorted into a concerned expression, eyebrows furrowed, lips in a pout. She pushed herself off of the ledge she had been seated upon and landed squarely on her feet. Her hands began to spark with electricity. "I guess we don't really have a choice, then."

--

°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰;)◜✧˖°

September 27, 2015 at 6:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.